Saturday, October 26, 2013

Chicken by Chicken: Feed the Fancy Bantams

I'm still on cloud nine about my upcoming novel in May 2014 PLUMB CRAZY from Swoon Romance. I hope that my personal journey offers you a creative spark to light the fire of your works. My title "Chicken by Chicken" is a play on Anne Lamott's book title, BIRD BY BIRD, a helpful writing book.

Chicken by chicken is how I roll as a writer. I'm chatting about my instructions for writing and life. This week  my topic is "Feed the Fancy Bantams."  We creative folk are the fancy bantams -- that is the fancy chickens. Don't believe me about fancy chickens? They have a club.  We are fancy chickens and must feed our creative souls to keep the work fresh.

Here are some creative things that I have done lately. In September, Kathi Appelt had a party celebrating some awesome new books. She can sure throw a party! Not the best photo, but here from left to right, Greg Leitich Smith reading excerpts with Uma Krishnaswami celebrating the release The Problem with Being Slightly Heroic,  Kathi Appelt celebrating the release of The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp, and  Susan Fletcher celebrating the release of Falcon Glass.


These cakes from Cake Junkie were almost too pretty to eat. But somehow we managed.




In September, I also went to the Houston Fine Arts Show with sister Lee Ann and daughter Jubilee. I saw crazy cool stuff.   We saw what I call the headless multicorn. After, Jubilee and I headed to the Hobbit Cafe. Because what else do you do after you see a headless multicorn.




And now it's October and I'm up to more mayhem! This weekend I'm road tripping with Liz Mertz and Candi Fite to Austin, Texas for the Texas Book Fest. I plan to attend the cemetery crawl with R. L. Stine

Need some more chicken feed to fire you up? Here is an awesome book! Dirt Bikes, Drones and Other Ways to Fly (HMH) by Conrad Wesselhoeft is on my to-do list. I'm excited about reading this, but I have to wait until 2014. Waah!



In other related news, oh, blogging friends, I am also speaking at a conference in November 9, 2014: KidLit Con Austin  Austin, TX. I will be speaking about "Soft Sell Marketing."  If you are in the neighborhood, you might want to check this out.

Yep. You must feed the soul, folks.  Welcome to the fancy bantam flock!  

Here is the doodle: I'm calling it The CHULK!



Here is a quote for your pocke.

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid. Jane Austen

2 comments:

Candilynn Fite said...

Loved the photos! Thanks for sharing. Had a spectacular day with you and Liz!! I'm still on cloud nine. :)

Have fun with speaking at the KidLit Con next week!!! Best of luck, although, you won't need it. You're a natural!

See you in two days. :D

MollyMom103 said...

Thanks, Candi! TBF was rejuvenating. Wed should be fun. :)