Friday, September 08, 2006

Struggles

I've just turned in my assignment for an educational publisher. I wrote for adults. Generally write for children. I hooked into the voice of the publisher, but I felt like I was being forced to say simple things in complex language. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever written. I struggled with every line. It's hard to write sensible instructions that are actually readable. Honestly, I don't think I was wildly successful with the whole thing. I will try to begin more intelligently next time.

Here's to all the struggling, hardworking technical writers in the world who have to write mind-numbingly boring text about obscure technical applications in unending techno-jargon with copious footnotes and who want to place the next breakout, mega, multimillion dollar bestseller. You know who you are! I pray the doors open and your treasured novels, written during your breaks, on your lunch hour, and from 2am to 4am, are picked up by world class agents and sold at auction for mucho bucks.


My quote for the day: Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently.
Henry Ford

No comments: