Saturday, December 15, 2007

Endurance

Wow, Friday is almost over and I have not blogged a word. I've been writing passages and am finally coming up for air. My oldest son shipped this week. Yes, this mild mannered children's writer is a Marine recruit mom. Semper Fi!

I'm going to take a moment to talk about endurance. How do we take that next step when we are tired, when so many people have said no, and so many doors have slapped shut in our face that ears are ringing? A few things help me.

First, the pattern supports me. The very shape of my life keeps me on track. I've made room for writing. I honor my work and don't think of it as something I'm going to do, but something that I am doing.

Next, I have many friends that are in the same boat with me. It's easier to row if you know that there are lots of people in the boat. The industry of the rowers help me feel that success will come my way.

I stay aware of the beauty of small things: a scene, a letter, a poem. Each brushstoke is important to me. I don't have to think about the next book I will write. It's just one more word. It's one more snippet of story.

I understand the power of a reasonable goal. It's just the best feeling -- the words flowing on to the paper. I don't get into the end result. I dwell in this moment, in the revealing that needs to happen now. It's a powerful rush.

Try letting go of all the voices and just flow with the journey. Joy in it. Prevail. Let me know how it goes.

I believe that man will not merely endure. He will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.

William Faulkner

.

No comments: