Saturday, January 19, 2008

Ooops

What happened to Friday! This has been a busy week. I have been working on my two informational picture books about grammar. Yay! I've also been slogging through the rewrite of Crying for the Moon, my happy chapter book.

My critique group threw a party to celebrate the publication of my new book and the new year. I will have awesome pics soon.

I'm going to talk about novel writing for a few posts. It's comforting to think that a novel is like a container. A novel can only hold so much information like any container. I always start a novel that is like an empty container. In other words, I totally understand the shape of my story from beginning to end. I map out the high points the low points; there are just some thousands of words that need to be slapped on a page to get me where I am going.

I'm a failed poet. Maybe every novelist wants to write poetry first, finds he can't and then tries the short story which is the most demanding form after poetry. And failing at that, only then does he take up novel writing. William Faulkner

No comments: