Monday, February 11, 2008

New York, New York!

Oooh, interrupting novel writing notes to chat about the 2008 SCBWI Winter Conference. What a lovely experience.

The conference began with children's kid-lit drink night in a little bar east of the hotel. Lots of fun -- writers, illustrators, librarians and editors shouting at one another at the top of their lungs over the throbbing music.

The next morning, this poor Woodinviller rolled out of bed with bleary eyes and headed downstairs to the opening of the conference. First up was the wonderful Nikki Grimes. She dazzled us all with a glimpse into the many voices that populate her wonderful poetry. Next up was one of my favorite author/illustrators, visual storyteller extraordinaire Mr. David Wiesner. The glimpse into his revision process was priceless. My takeaway? Sometimes we may go at a problem from dozens of angles but the result is well worth the journey.

After the breakout, we moved into editor sessions. Editor Molly O Neill offered a tantalizing look at Bowen Press's new list. My take, this list is a mix of visually stunning graphic work, fresh, distinctive voices and extensions of beloved classic books with an interesting eco-friendly twist.

My next breakout was equally provocative -- Executive Editor Caitlyn Dlouhy. She seems to connect very deeply with that elusive thing -- voice. She loves a story that develops a sense of a fully realized world.

A good conference. I love NY.

A last few odds and ends, my friend Janet Lee Carey's book Wenny Has Wings has been made into a movie! Click here to check out the trailer. But be warned, you don't want to do it without a box of tissues handy.

I read the arc of Gail Carson Levine's Ever! Fantabufreakinlouswundval! I needed a really expansive adjective. You must wait till May, waahahaha.

Hey, big shoutout for my friend Chris Eboch and kudos to Editor Mark McVeigh for acquiring her new middle grade series for his imprint Aladdin!

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.

~e.e. cummings,

4 comments:

Joni said...

Hey, thanks for the digest, M! I wish I'd been there with ya'll, I'm sure it was fun!

Edith said...

Great notes! Thanks for posting!

Angela Ackerman said...

Thanks so much for sharing. I wish I could afford to go to these events more often--it sounds like it was a great time!

Molly/Cece said...

Hi, thanks for posting. New York is a great conference.

All best, Molly :)