Sunday, September 07, 2008

Hero

Hi folks, my book signing at the local Barnes and Noble was today. Fun. fun.

I'm about to dive back into novel writing, and this week I'm thinking about that central character of every story -- the hero. This is going to be my experience with the hero, so a narrow view.

For me, strong heroes must be flawed. A little naivety doesn't hurt either. I think it is important for the hero to suffer. Take the hero to a very dark place, that always seems like a good plan. I also think that true heroes begin with false beliefs and the mix of their journey (i.e. personal experience) and their 'spirit to be more than they are' always results in a refocusing of belief. I love for things to work out for the hero. Yes, a few disappointments are to be expected, but my hero is going to be in a better place to be in the end.

I want to cry with my hero, but I want to laugh too. I want my hero to endure a thing or two. I also want my hero to struggle with dealing with an enemy. Missteps are welcome. I want my hero to feel what others feel. I search for that universal connection, the everyman, not some golden god. I also want my readers to feel like that they are wearing my heroes' shoes. A great hero is going to make a reader say isn't that just the way it is.

I hope that my thoughts inspire you to create believable heroes that readers will follow them to the very last page.

So folks that is the up and down of things.

Here is my doodle of the week. I call it Window of the Soul.

'

Remember: ©Molly Blaisdell, all rights reserved. If you want to use my cool doodles, ask permission first. It is so wrong to take people's doodles without permission!

My quote for the day

A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author. G. K. Chesterton

No comments: