Sunday, February 15, 2009

Synopsis (part 2)

I'm continuing my series about synopsis writing. I build an arsenal of synopses for each project. I write the "one line sound byte" version. I write the one paragraph "single piece of fine chocolate" version. I write the one page "slice of cake" version. I write the three page "full course version". And I write the "I'm not counting calories" ten page version.

I usually start with at big version. I write a short one to five line description of each chapter. Then I stick them all together. This has added benefits because you might notice that there is something fishy or messed up about your plot. So yay! Bonus. My next job is to half that document. I stick to the main plot points and leave out most of the sub-plots unless it's big and important. Then I look at each sentence and ask, "Can I say this with fewer words?" I almost always can.

Here's is an example:

The Iblis is a raving madness that destroys all order and ultimately brings death.
becomes
The Iblis, a raving madness, destroys order and brings death. (See, shorter!)

Today's doodle is "Fish soon to be out of water".



Remember: ©Molly Blaisdell, all rights reserved. If you want to use my cool doodles, ask permission first. It is so wrong to take people's doodles without permission!

And this week's playlist is an oldie and goodie and also my theme song. 'Seize the Day' by Carolyn Arrends. Please check her out.



My quote of the week:

You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes. Pooh. (aka A.A. Milne)

No comments: