Saturday, May 01, 2010

Favorite Things

I'm a rolling stone this month. I'm moving on to Texas. My books are all packed up, so we will have to get back to my stacks of books another time. Oh, my gosh, I have way too many things to box!

I thought I would throw out some memorable stuff that has flitted around the edges of my mind for decades.

From art: Andy Warhol. He surprised me BIG TIME. The photos of his work never interested me. I thought, Campbell soup cans? Weird and not for me. Then I went to the MOMA in New York. I came around a corner and saw that massive wall of Campbell soup cans. This is a big piece of art. It was like being physically struck with some sort of lighting bolt. I laughed out loud and felt like crying at the same time. This sense of a world that doesn't see the beauty in the mundane and a world that at the same time is a bit ridiculous and out of control, nearly knocked me over; that all happened in a second. I loved that surprise.

From music: Oh, Brendan James, my life is so much better because you are writing songs. I love ALL I CAN SEE. How could I face my life without this kind of stuff? The revolution of the Earth around the sun is teaching me too; let me learn the lessons all around me.

From the final frontier: I love the astronauts. They are just the most awesome ones. I've met a few space travelers (though technically we are all traveling through space), and the thing that sets these modern day explorers apart is they always seem to be Renaissance people with interests in multiple disciplines whose curosity leads to some wild risks. I'm so glad that we have a contingent on our planet who wants to see what is out there, who wants to boldly go, who is willing to risk life and limb to achieve their goals.

So this week, ask yourself what surprises you. Listen to some inspiring tunes. And boldly go. Yes. Go!

Doodle of the week: "Astronaut."



I don't know what you could say about a day in which you have seen four beautiful sunsets. John Glenn

No comments: