Saturday, April 02, 2011

April Showers: Every Little Bird Sings

Hi folks, I just spent a month reflecting and now I'm going to spend some time writing about what brings water to my soul. A sweet spring rain will make all sorts of good things green up and bloom. One thing that inspires me are the birds around here.

Today, I listened to a mocking bird singing its hundreds of calls. I hoped that I would hear something rare, the song of an ancient bird. The notes of the bird touched something deep inside me. How a mocking bird stitches together the voices all around it, fuels my writer spirit. I want to create such a joyful noise when I write with the intent to reflect everything I've heard.

I also like to see a bird on a wire. I'm going to drop a little video below that captures the swarms of starlings that settle on the wires around here every night. There are thousands of them. Starlings flood the sky at sunset. It's a maddening crowd. Those birds dancing in the sky and roar of their voices, it makes my spirit soar. Energy pumps into my heart. Part of me want to morph into the sky and head up into the crowd to dart and weave with the best of them and find my place on the wire.

The last water I'm going to cover is the sound of birds at dawn. In Texas, you tend to get up earlier because it's hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk past noon. I love the sound of birds at dawn. As the sunlight begins to warm the sky, the cacophony begins. A dove begins to coo, cardinals whistle and call, thrushes, jays, robins, buntings. More and more birds began to chatter until it's hard to tell one voice from the other. They seem so much more aware of the passing night and coming dawn. They live to praise the return of the sun. The experience floods my soul. Every little bird sings out its song, and a hunger stirs n me to sing my song too.

There is no way I could ever cover all the birds that sing spirit into my soul. I hope these three snapshots open you up more to the things that water your soul. Keep working. Keep seeking a way to capture the light and darkness in your life. Seize the day. See you next week for more showers.

Here is the weekly doodle: "Bird at Dawn".



Here is my weekly quote:

The very idea of a bird is a symbol and a suggestion to the poet. A bird seems to be at the top of the scale, so vehement and intense his life. . . . The beautiful vagabonds, endowed with every grace, masters of all climes, and knowing no bounds -- how many human aspirations are realised in their free, holiday-lives -- and how many suggestions to the poet in their flight and song! John Burroughs

2 comments:

Faith Pray said...

Starlings! I love the crazy way starlings weave in and out, collapsing inward and spreading out, out, out. And ironically, I'm reading "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott. Good analogies as usual, Molly!

SCBWI REP said...

I love them too. I love their wild chattines. Glad you connect with the singing birdies.