Saturday, April 20, 2013

April Showers: Marvel

Water your soul by pouring the best of art into your soul.  Part of the reason for why we create is a response to the world around us. You need to take time to marvel at the natural world around you. Your books will be infused with the wonder of the world as you take the time to admire the astonishing details that surround you.

It's cool to travel to exotic places with breath-taking vistas but I've found that these places aren't always the ones that speak to me the most. In fact, I've found it's difficult to predict which places will speak to me the most. I've come to the conclusion that you must trust your instincts when it comes to connection. The natural landscape that you gravitate toward will sometimes surprise you. Search for the spots that squeeze emotion out of your pores.

I have a little ritual that I perform in new places. I go very still and let the place speak to me. Thousands of detail begin to bombard me. I could never verbalize what I am taking in. But I have noticed that allowing space to take in the details will energize my storytelling. It's almost like taking a memory photograph or movie. I can easily return to these memories and recall every sense. I can also pull in every nuance of emotion I felt. I'm convinced these tiny details are what make your work rise above the rest. You must have the information within you to put it on the page.

Finally, you don't have to go on a far flung trip across the globe to find what you are looking for. Your bluebird of happiness might be in your backyard. You might string a hammock between two trees and just marvel at the sound of the wind and birds. You might stare at the whorls formed by the leaves of a succulent. You might break off sprigs in your herb garden and let the aromas swirl in your mind. Search for what speaks to you. Watch a spider build a web. Listen to bird song and bubbling brooks. Pile sun warmed rocks on your belly. Marvel in the world around you.

All these glorious details will set your mind on fire. Take time to marvel. I will be back next week the the conclusion of April Showers. Meanwhile seize the day.

No doodle this week. Here is a photo of my hammock, but my son Jack is marveling at the moment. 




Here is a quote for your pocket:

The landscape belongs to the person who looks at it...  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 comments:

Vijaya said...

That's a great picture, Molly. Yes, sometimes the most wondrous things are right in our backyard. I'm watching a cardinal cleaning his beak on a branch of a live oak as I type this. A brilliant red. A gift. I love this writing space of mine.

Molly/Cece said...

Sounds so lovely. I have blue jays in my live oak. :)

Unknown said...

It's funny. Inspiration usually hits me when I least expect it. You're right. One doesn't have to plan some exotic trip to find it either. Being outdoors is one of the best places to marvel in the moment. Thank you for this reminder. :)

Molly/Cece said...

You are welcome, Candi! I hope the revision is humming.