Thursday, December 15, 2005

Contracts! Scoring Tests! Retiring at 41! Rewriting!

This has been a way busy month for me. I signed my contract with West Cambridge for my little Harcourt social studies book. My book title is News Travels Fast and it is a quick history of communication for first graders. I also was asked to write 5 more books for PLC. That gives me a grand total of 18 books either published or under contract.

I've started work on my next administration for Pearson. I score the written portion of a certain standardized test. Fun, fun and more fun. I was getting ready for cancer surgery last year at this time, so I have no complaints.

I retired as the RA of SCBWI Western Washington this year. It's been a blast working for SCBWI the last three years, but it's time for me to focus on my writing. I so love the beautiful silver necklace that I received as a parting gift. The turtle crossing a book is oh so cute. I also can not wait to spend my Secret Garden Bookshop certificate.

I'm on the last chapters of the rewrite of Fractals. It has been an odyssey but I can see the end of the tunnel. At this point, creatively, I feel like a watermelon rind that has had every bit of pulp munched and nibbled off of it.

"I see now" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
"I have been Foolish and Deluded," said he,"and I am a Bear of No Brain at All."
"You're the Best Bear in All the World," said Christopher Robin soothingly.
"Am I?" said Pooh hopefully. And then he brightened up suddenly.
"Anyhow," he said, "it is nearly Luncheon Time."
So he went home for it.

from Chapter III of Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne

No comments: