Saturday, March 24, 2007

Mimzy, Universal Laws and the Current Reading List

I saw The Last Mimzy tonight. I went with three teenagers. I liked this movie. Shhh I had a crush on Timothy Hutton when I was in high school and, yay!, one of the lone gun men is getting work. Anyway, this movie was my kind of sci-fi fantasy. I love stories about the connections between us all. The universe is speaking! Seattle folks gave this movie a big round of applause at the end. Perhaps there was some bias, seeing the movie was about our neighborhood and sort of made it seem like life in Seattle is something of a fairytale.

Now I must break in with one of the Universal Laws -- I am told by real live teenagers and they are pretty sure that this is a written law -- if you give a teenager a twenty dollar bill to buy a coke at the grocery store across the street from the theater, you will receive, 1 quarter in change, I repeat 25 cents. The rest of the money will morph into 3 pounds of gummy worms, a bag of Reese's, three cokes, a chocolate brownie and bag of Jolly Ranchers. I knew gravity, entropy, hey, red shift; I was not up on the relationship between $20 and teenagers. It is a Universal Law. You are now free to proceed about the universe.

I'm in a reading phase and wondrous books are by the bed currently. My stack includes The Language of God by Francis Collins, The Secret Spiritual World of Children by Tobin Hart, Ph. D., The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick, The Born-Einstein Letters, Correspondence between Albert Einstein and Max and Hedwig Born from 1916 to 1955 with commentaries by Max Born. Exactly how Mr. Einstein had all that time to write letters and discover fundamental theories of the universe, I'm not sure.

Well, I will end here:

“Nothing that I can do will change the structure of the universe. But maybe, by raising my voice I can help the greatest of all causes - goodwill among men and peace on earth."

Albert Einstein

No comments: