Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Beauty of Our Dreams

Another week has rolled around, and I'm still writing passages. I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I had to write a couple of poem passages this week, and I found out something strange about my writing self. I can't write poetry directly into the computer. I had to turn back to ancient technology of pen and paper.

Why? Because short stuff was all written long hand when I was a teenager. It was written late at night, with me curled up with a cup of hot tea and some lit candles. I found that I couldn't connect with my emotional core, until I moved away from the computer and to a space that was comforting, cozy, familiar.

As soon as I did that, I couldn't stop the flood of feelings. Hidden voices popped out of me - stuff I didn't even know was in me wanted to get out. So here's something to think about, what environment connects you to your emotional core? Do you have any stories hidden within that are waiting for the right moment, the right setting, to set them free? Let me know if you find something that surprises you.

Another thing that really opens me up emotionally is art. I love to draw. I said I would post some of my Getty pictures. There is this cool room at the Getty and they give you pencils and paper and let you work. It's really quite the fun time. Go try it if you live in LA or are visiting there. I believe you might find surprising things about the way you view the world in "drawing room".

I did this one:



























This one is a little blurry but I think you can get the feeling of the bunny.




So I will close my weekly update with a lovely thought from Eleanor Roosevelt:

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

No comments: