Sunday, August 02, 2009

World Building

Hi folks, I've started world building on another sci-fi project, and thought I would talk about some of my process. I'm a random thinker, so I get a pack of 3x5 cards and begin to write my scene ideas. They come to me in flashes. I see vivid "movies" of the work in my head, and I keep a pencil handy for describing the scenes. Strangely enough, this happens for me when I read books. I forget everything and all I can see is the book playing out in my head. It's a very intense experience.

Another step, I also get a OneNote Notebook going and a real paper notebook. Here I fill out character charts, plot charts, playlists, back story sections, setting sections. This list is long. The goal is to know as much about the world I'm creating as possible. I play the what-if game. I up the stakes over and over again in this document. I make sure everyone suffers! I know what every character is carrying around in their pocket. I know what they are going to do when they grow up. I understand the shape of my plot.

It's a noodling process. Turning the idea over and over. It's like refining clay that will be eventually used to make a pot.
World building is a place to refine the kernel of an idea. I hope you have the chance to refine an idea this week

No doodles this week, sorry.

My playlist hit is from ShineDown and is called "Shed Some Light."



My quote for the week:
Hell is yourself and the only redemption is when a person puts himself aside to feel deeply for another person. Tennessee Williams

No comments: