Monday, February 21, 2005

Fox in Sox, Sir.

I read Fox in Sox to my son the night before last.

He said, "We have a lot of Dr. Seuss books."

"One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish." I knew these words before I knew much. It's the same for my kids.

I want to publish humorous picture books. I've even written a rhyming one. I just can't make the project fly. I've been working on it for ten years with no luck. Many editors have commented on the humor of my picture book but feel that the rhyme is uneven. I've done everything I know to make the rhyme work. It's not working. I'm going to a conference with Janet Wong in a week or so. She worked with poetry teacher icon, Myra Cohn Livingston, and is a wonderful poet. Maybe something will wear off and I will be able to close this chapter in my picture book writing. I do feel I have something special going in this story.

"But my tongue is numb, Sir."

No comments: