Thursday, January 26, 2006

Rebus Writing, NY, Eggs Still Wobble.

I'm working on a rebus story for Highlights. I love to retell folktales. They are old stories -- bare bones, echoing ancient truth. Just love them.

Yesterday, I had an interesting conversation with a friend. I got to thinking about my motivation to write. Telling stories is what keeps me sane. I could not face the trials of life without telling stories, without remembering how it was, without wondering how it will be. There is something about telling a story that heals, helps us move on, let's us understand.

I had another provocative question in the email yesterday. When do stories begin? I've thought about it. Once upon a time in a galaxy far-far away is a good way to go. I've looked at hundreds of first lines of novels I am convinced there is a toolbox of techniques to start a story. A combination of setting, character and conflict is the general plan. More on this later.

I'm ramping up for the Mid-winter SCBWI conference! And BTW, the eggs are still wobbling!

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Molly,
I think stories have a beginning with experiences. Things happen and I think, "That would make a great story." But I don't always write it down.
Keep up the good work!