Friday, May 18, 2007

Lloyd Alexander ( January 30, 1924 -- May 17, 2007)

I never met Lloyd, but he is one author who reached through the pages of books and whispered, "anything, dear, anything is possible". I can remember like it was today. I didn't fit in school. I was flunking several of my classes and felt worthless. My parents had gone out of town, and I had to get up every morning and milk this ornery goat. I felt as lowly as an Assistant Pig Keeper and just as frustrated, but I knew Taran and whispered against that goat's belly. "Even Assistant Pig Keepers have worth and they might have fight great battles. They might go to far away places. They might be royalty. They might rule a kingdom someday."

I curled up with the Chronicles every night. I'd read all the books over and over again until the spines cracked and then the pages came loose and I kept them together with a rubber band. I didn't have any direction. I thought I would never go to college. I would never amount to anything. A dim light at first, and then brighter and brighter -- I mattered. I would make a difference. I would have a wonderful life. I had a purpose. I had a destiny.

I'm never going to be able to give the honor due here. His stories have served as a guiding star for me.

Dona Nobis Pacem.

Lloyd, thank you for your hard work, for your labor of love.

Angelorum te suscipiat. Aeternam habeas requiem.

No comments: