Friday, June 27, 2008

Slow and Steady

Hi folks, I'm still in Texas, so the post will be short. I had a fortune cookie today and was pleased to learn that my destiny is 'slow and steady will lead to success.' This has been the absolute truth for me. Writing is a line upon line process. It takes patience. You have to be willing to wait to see the fruit of you labor somewhere in the far future. If you only work 15 minutes day, you have no reason to be ashamed. Take pride in your efforts.

Open up your heart to way of the turtle. If you are American, I suggest that you toss off that 'results now philosophy.' Get rid of that 'cash in the pocket' philosophy, too. This week I'm going to compare novel writing to the gorgeous cathedrals that grace the European landscape. These cathedrals took generations to build. The architects, builders, and designers had long term vision. Their goal was to create something ageless, something meaningful.

As you write consider the ripples in space-time you are creating. Consider that to create something that will last, it takes a vast amount of time and effort. I hope you take time to make sure you are on the slow and steady road this week.

Big shout-out for the Georgetown Public Library and Ms. Rosa. I had a great time sharing about my process and my new book, REMBRANDT AND THE BOY WHO DREW DOGS (Barron's, 2008).

Sorry, no doodles until I get home.

Let thy step be slow and steady, that thou stumble not.
Ieyasu Tokugawa

No comments: