Saturday, December 06, 2008

Words

I've been up before sunrise the last few mornings. Not hard to do when the sun is rising around 8 a.m. I don't know how to describe the morning light of these last few days. Above me the sky almost blinds me with brilliant light blue and the clouds dazzle me with their rosy tint that fades to midnight blue. Today, I imagined if I was looking at everything through rose colored glasses that this would be exactly what it would look like. All the colors were such rich hues. I feel this wealth that beyond any monetary system, the wealth that is my right for watching the sunrise.

The sunrise stirs something deep within me, something ancient, something down in core of what makes me human. This elemental connection with the world is part of storytelling for me. The connection creates a hunger in me to reveal the natural world and our place in it. The morning light make me aware of deep core things that bind us together with our world and our sun -- I've always been aware of these things, maybe more so as a child than now, but I've always felt this need to respond to, to praise, to give thanks, to shout at, to imagine, to find the right words for the world around us.

This awareness draws me into words, into a need to find the right words to capture this "sudden drown of knowing". I borrowed this phrase from my dear friend and the wonderful poet, Katherine Grace Bond. You might want to check out her poetry. Regardless, I hope you take time today to find the right word.

I call today's doodle "Olympics from Dungeness Spit".



I'm a adding this little feature go my blog -- my current playlist hit for the week. This week the playlist hit comes from Benji and Joel Madden of Good Charlotte -- "A Beautiful Place."



One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple.— Jack Kerouac

No comments: