Friday, January 08, 2010

Books!

I ended up my April Showers posts with Reading, but I wanted to share my entire pile by the bed. There is no way one post can hold it all, so many books have caught my eye.

I'm also going to explain why each book is in the pile. Yes, the fan girl in me is rising up -- I was once hit by moped because I was so engrossed in a book. I believe I was reading Marie Curie's autobiography (a riveting read I might add). When I was in college I'd learn about some scientist or other in my class and run to the Sterling C. Evans Library to find out if they'd written a memoir.

I wonder what my professor would have said if they'd know I was often reading the works of Richard Feynman, Max Planck, Marie Curie and so many others instead of churning out those balance chemical equations.:)

But I digress, now some more books by the bed. I will do three this week.

First I have THIS WORLD WE LIVE IN by Susan Beth Pfeffer. I've stuck around for the entire event of the moon getting squashed closer to the Earth. And yes, it led to BIG BAD WORLD WIDE disaster. (I seem to be on a distopian trip and have been since I read my first blow-up-the-world-book in high school and then stole it from the library(I finally returned it, folks) - WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE by Phillip Wylie and by Edwin Balmer is the title. This book was also turned in a great cult movie. Anyway I have some real fangirl going on with "disaster sci-fi."

Next book on the shelf is THE GAME OF SUNKEN PLACES by M.T. Anderson. I'm reading this because M.T. has reached that that stratopheric spot in my fan love. I am reading every book he has ever written, Other notables in this spot: Madeleine L'Engle, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Robert Heinlein, and Leo Lionni. I think I've read most of Seuss, too.

Last up for this week is COFFEEHOUSE ANGEL by Suzanne Selfors. Nothing like a good romantic comedy to cheer me up. This is sunny-side-up slice-of-life book. Oh, Malcolm, where were you when I was in high school. Sigh.

So that's this week's pile-by-the-bed round-up. I'm doing one more pile of fiction and then I'm heading into the non-fiction. Yep, I'm still reading non-fiction. Love it.

This week's doodle is "Gal Fishin'".



The quote for the week is

Give what you have. To someone else it may be better than you dare to think. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

No comments: