Saturday, August 21, 2010

Unload

Hi, folks, whew, it's hot! We are way over the century mark here every day. Today I'm going to talk about unloading the stuff. One thing I have noticed is that if I'm not taking care of myself, my writing suffers. People are complex and need lots of care. Recognizing that is the first step.

For me, I have to keep the emotional shelf unloaded. This includes talking with friends and counselors, and writing honestly about my feelings. Emotional baggage means no work for me. I also have to keep the spiritual shelf unloaded. This plays out in a number of ways. I have to pray and also have to connect with art in multiple disciplines -- music, visuals, writing, dance, and whatever else comes my way. A lack of spiritual connection leaves me nervous and keeps the words from flowing.

I must keep the family shelf unloaded. I have to "mom" my kids and spend quality time with my spouse. I am a great believer in friendship and keep space in my life for that too. I also have to keep the physical shelf unloaded. This is doing the mundane of life: making the bed, washing the dishes, the clothes, sweeping. The basics of life better be happening or my heart get so weighted down I never get anything done.

Time has to be given to all these things. If daily I work to keep things unloaded then I find my writing is smooth and moves with power and purpose. If not, my writing frustrates me. My words jumble on the page and the work loses the spark that makes it worthwhile. So today work on unloading what you need to be successful. You might not be finishing that book because you are not giving yourself the chance to take care of your needs. You can't finish projects if you are not bringing yourself out of the high seas into to the calm waters of rest.

I hope you take this heart. Unload, then seize the day, seize the night, and create art for the ages.

This week's doodle is called "The Wise Old Owl".


This week quote is some good advice. There is a lot to do each day, turn this thought over and see if it helps.

We can easily manage if we will only take, each day, the burden appointed to it. But the load will be too heavy for us if we carry yesterday's burden over again today, and then add the burden of the morrow before we are required to bear it.
John Newton.

2 comments:

Vijaya said...

Molly, this is true for me as well. There must be some sort of order and peace before I can write ...

Today the sun is shining and I'm hanging out clothes. Will have a cup of tea and take the dog for a walk. Michael has taken both kids to the softball finals so I have a couple of hours to myself.

I just returned home from a service with Karen -- we've been wanting to do this a long time since I've never been to a synagogue before. Really beautiful to hear all the prayers sung in Hebrew. You'd have loved it too.

Peace, Molly.

Molly/Cece said...

Hi Vijaya, Sounds glorious there. Love tea, a walk, and a couple of hours.

Oh, I wish I could have joined you and Karen. I know I would have loved to be go to a service with you. I'm inspired just hearing about beautiful prayers sung in Hebrew. Give Karen a hug from me when you see her next.

Sigh I miss the Misty Mountains and Greeny Gloom of Washington.

:) Molly