Saturday, January 29, 2011

Wobbling

Hi folks, one month of 2011 has raced past. Another month, another gift. To me everyday is a gift. I used to write about wobbling eggs. Wobbling eggs were books that had made their way into the hands of some agent or editor. I felt this sense that my book had become a baby chick about break out of it's egg. Those wobbling eggs did lead to some success, and I'm grateful for the beautiful books sitting on my shelf. But let me tell you something, there is a joy in this work. Joy bubbles up as I shape and reshape my writing, learn the craft of writing, and actually do the work.

I have something to say and yearn for folks to connect with my work. I had this brilliant experience of taking in pages in for critique. I'm in the Best Little Critique Group in Texas. It has two members -- me and Kathy Whitehead. She read my current pages and gave the best critique ever. She cried and unlike me, who am a watering pot, she rarely cries. That moment made me know I've got a whole flat of wobbling eggs. The chicks are ready to hatch.

Keep working, folks. Let that yearning to have your work out there fuel your drive to create works that will last for generations. Quiet all the noise, the hype, the hunger, and channel all that energy into writing your best book. This takes a special kind of confidence. Think about a doctor who cuts into someone's chest and pulls out their heart and puts in a new one. You'd want someone confident, someone who knows what they were doing to perform heart surgery. Our words inscribe on the hearts of our readers. I'll tell you of the story of writer who saved me sometime. Do what ever it takes to write your best book.

We are creating the warp threads of the fabric of our times.Respect the depths of this work. Seize the day. See you back next week folks.

Eyes are the window of the soul. My doodle this week is a "A Face Study".



Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream. Paulo Coelho

5 comments:

Vijaya said...

Yay, I'm so happy that you and Kathy have found each other. It's like Jen and me. I think we're the best little critique group in Wa. right now. We egg each other on ... it's been working out since we're in the same boat with kids stuff.

I'm revising and keeping your words in mind ...

kathleen duey said...

I lived 25 years off-grid and raised chickens..."wobbling eggs" is a brilliant and perfect term for books on the brink. And yes, there is joy in the work--we are so lucky to be writing (and rewriting).

I know several professional writers who became crit-partners with one other person and it has become a partnership over the years. I know others who use lots of friends as beta readers and sift all the reactions to see what fits. I know a few people who have worked with one editor for years and don't show anyone else their work in progress.

So, like everything else in writing, find what works for you and do more of that!

Molly/Cece said...

Hi Vijaya! I'm so glad you and Jen are working together. I miss good times... Hugs.

Hi Kathleen, my mom raised fancy bantams, so that's my chicken connection.

It's comforting to know that lots of things work when it comes to the collabrative process. I have found the only sure thing about my process is it keeps morphing and changing, and I'm working hard to roll with it.

BTW, I'm feeling the magic right now because you've posted on my blog.

Can't wait for A Resurrection of Magic, Book #3 !

Thanks for your thoughts...


M.

shelley said...

Oh Molly--I love this post for you and for me. I've recaptured some of that confidence after some difficult rejections. It is so hard. Hooray for you and thanks for this post. Miss you.

Molly/Cece said...

Hi Shelley! I miss you your stories. I'm glad your confidence is ebbing up. Truth told, I'd like to see one your books as much as mine. I know when I hold your book for the first time I'm going to bawl. Books take a long time to be born.

We could use some sublime published book moments on the stack of life's moments. I'm hoping against hope at this point.