Saturday, December 15, 2012

Soul Inspiration: Who am I?

I'm taking this month to look into the core of what moves me in books. This is the third in the Soul Inspiration series.  My inspirational mix is varied: Robert Heinlein, the comfort of words,  and this week, I'm going to dig into  how I've found myself in books. I think that this a deep reason why I love books so much. I can remember thrashing about, try to figure out life and such, and I kept getting calmed by books. I can't say how many times I've come across a better self in books.  I'm going to touch on a few random moments that I can never forget.

Early on, I became the kind of person who believes every person counts, every voice counts, no matter.  "A person's a person no matter how small." Dr. Seuss, Horton Hears a Who

I found what I was going to do about not achieving my heart goals for decades.
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”   AA. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh.

I found what I was going to do the loss of dear friends in the pages of a book. “It was up to him to pay back to the world in beauty and caring what Leslie had loaned him in vision and strength. ” Katherine Paterson, Bridge to Terabithia

Here I found truth who I would strive to be every day. “Keep good company, read good books, love good things and cultivate soul and body as faithfully as you can”  Louisa May Alcott, A Rose in Bloom

Here I woke up to the secret that every human is a whole mystery. “A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other.”  Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities.

Here, I sighed and understood that we are all very complex stories and love holds the pages together.
"We are thickly layered, page lying upon page, behind simple covers. And love - it is not the book itself, but the binding.”  Deb Caletti, Honey, Baby, Sweetheart 

Here I understood it's fine to strive for something that almost everyone has a better aptitude for, as long a I have buckets of tenacious desire.  "Talent and all that are really for the most part just baloney. Any schoolboy with a little aptitude can perhaps draw better than I; but what he lacks in most cases is that tenacious desire to make it reality, that obstinate gnashing of teeth and saying, "Although I know it can't be done, I want to do it anyway."  M. C. Esher, In Art

Yes, this was my truth, too, “The best books... are those that tell you what you know already.”   George Orwell, 1984

I hope that we all place the keys of self discovery in every book we write.  Dig deep, folks. Someone really needs your help.  Peace. Molly.


This week's doodle is called stormy night.


 
 
 
Yes, this quote is always in my pocket. 
 
“But blessed is the man who trusts me, God,
the woman who sticks with God.
They’re like trees replanted in Eden,
putting down roots near the rivers—
Never a worry through the hottest of summers,
never dropping a leaf,
Serene and calm through droughts,
bearing fresh fruit every season." Jer 17:7-8 MSG
 

6 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

Your Stormy Night art suits me tonight, and the words of your post are soothingly reassuring, telling me what I already know... Nice.

Molly/Cece said...

I think many of us are feeling some storming inside right now.

Glad the post reassure you of what you know.

Vijaya said...

Loved this post, Molly. When I was asked to write an autobiographical sketch for ICL (as a student) I defined myself through the books that changed my life. Oh, words have power.

Molly/Cece said...

Love that you used books to write an autobiographical sketch. Awesome.

Faith Pray said...

I love these. Your book roots are beautiful, Molly. Thanks for sharing with us.

Molly/Cece said...

You are welcome. I think the underpinning is important and must be named. :)