I'm still celebrating the book tour. I'm running a giveaway with my book tour, and I hope that you will consider entering. It's in the sidebar. Win a signed copy of the book and $100 gift certificate to Cavender's.
I offer the professional writer checklist. Lots of people want to be professional writers. I'm going to hand out the game plan. Here are ten steps to professional writer .
1. Write every day. Yes, professional writers must write. (I usually write 2- 4 hours a day, five days a week.)
2. Create an office. Professionals have offices
3. Take all paying gigs. This one comes with a commandment. Thou shalt not sneer at any paying gig like menus, tweets, content farms, technical manuals, wfh, basal readers, etc.." Anyone who looks down on this stuff is not a professional, he or she is a hobbyist.
4. Make specific, achievable long term and short term goals.
5. Network with your peers regularly. (Critique groups, conferences, professional organizations, etc.)
6. Join the social media circus. (website, Facebook, Twitter, bloggers, tumblr, etc...)
7. Keep accurate financial records.
8. Buy some business cards.
9. Invest in a printer that can spit mega pages in a short period of time. (Weird, but needed.)
10. Profess you are a professional writer to anyone who asks. (Never belittle yourself, not in self talk, not to others.)
Ta-da, you are a professional writer. The doodle and quote are at the end.
And a quote for your pocket:
A professional is someone who can do his best work when he doesn't feel like it. Alistair Cooke