Saturday, June 16, 2018

Learn to Do Right

I have been thinking about this a lot lately: Learn to do right. These words come from almost 3000 years ago from a prophet called Isaiah.

What he calls "doing right," these words resonate within me:

Seek justice.
Defend the oppressed.
Take up the cause of the fatherless;
plead the case of the widow.

I want to learn. I hear this voice calling me:

Everyone has an answer in their ivory tower. You should climb down and stop passing people in the street. Step out of your comfort zone and do something, say something, stand up. No more wishy-washy words that do nothing to change the world torn world. 

Rise up, you couch potato. Figure out why folks are kneeling under the red, white, and blue. Open up to children taken from their parents and stuffed into neat rows at land's end. How many grandmamas live in an old shack with no one to take them a dime? Wake up, get out, make a difference. Learn to do right, girl. Learn it now. 

I hope this stirs up your creative self. 

Here is a doodle. I call it "Ripe Field."



I hope you put this quote in your pocket:

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals. Martin Luther King


No comments: