Friday, January 19, 2007

Snail's Pace

This is a week that I've had to hurry up and wait. I'm still "hoping and praying" that the permissions will come through. Oh, I need a fairy godmother or a leprechaun or a stack of four leaf clovers.

I added another 1000 words to Novel Push 2007. Hey, I know it's a snail's pace, but here is where my long suit in persistence pays off. If I write a 1000 words a week for an entire year, at the end of this year I will have a 50000 word draft.

On the paying gig front, I've come up with a concept for one of my new easy readers. The second concept is not popping out yet, but a free write (10 minutes of writing ideas without stopping) did give me a direction to explore or two. I should have something by the end of next week.

Snow is over and I'm back to grueling carpooling, more volunteering and a dash of homework police.

I watched Ugly Betty last night. It's one of my favorite shows. I laughed so hard that I fell off the couch when they revealed who was going to take over MODE. I also watched American Idol this week. It's sort of a family thing, but I'm not sure that I'm going to watch more. That's 5 hours of TV in one week!!!! Crazy. BTW, will someone invent Children's Book Writer Icon? I'm in.

I grew in Texas, going to Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, the Texas State Fair, the Silver Wings Ballroom and the Texas Hall of Fame. I've got a soft spot deep inside me for country music. It touches my heart and brings me back to the pineywoods, fishing for crappie and riding in the back of wagon with friends on warm summer nights, being in awe of the foxfire.

All that was to say that I heard this song on the radio and it touched one of those inward chords in me.

"Anyway" by Martina McBride

You can spend your whole life building
something from nothing
one storm can come and blow it all away
Build it anyway

You can chase a dream
that seems so out of reach
and you know it might not ever come your way
Dream it anyway

God is great
But sometimes life ain't good
and when I pray
It doesn't always turn out like I think it should
But I do it anyway
I do it anyway

This world's gone crazy
and it's hard to believe
that tomorrow will be better than today
Believe it anyway

You can love someone with all your heart
for all the right reasons
and in a moment they can choose to walk away
love 'em anyway

God is great
But sometimes life ain't good
when I pray
it doesn't always turn out like I think it should
But I do it anyway
yeah, I do it anyway, yeah

You can pour your soul out singin'
a song you believe in
that tomorrow they'll forget you ever sang

Yeah, sing it anyway
Yeah, yeah,

Sing it anyway
I sing
I dream
I love
Anyway.
Yeah.

2 comments:

holly cupala said...

"will someone invent Children's Book Writer Icon?"

Uh, wait, didn't they do that on the Martha Stewart reality show? Write, illustrate, and publish a picture book in an hour and a half? No wonder people are always asking me, "Are you still working on..."

I'm so with you on Ugly Betty. That and LOST are the two I can't miss. And I kinda like Numbers cuz the math boy is cute. ;)

Molly/Cece said...

Yes, anybody can write a picture book. How ridiculous of me to suggest it might take talent, years of practice, hundreds of attempts, and possibly brilliant marketing strategy and unfailing perserverance to produce a half-way decent picture book. Sorry. Sorry. Yes. I'm still working on Another Herd of Turtles. Don't ask.

Now, I usually watch LOST but they kind of lost me at the three toed foot statue thingy. Numbers Math Boy is cute. I totally get that.