Saturday, November 08, 2008

Day 8 of the Golden Coffee Cup: ACTION

Welcome to the eighth day of the Third Annual Golden Coffee Cup.

Today's high five comes from a master of action Geraldine McCaughrean, the author of White Darkness and about 140 other books.
Sang Tan/Associated Press

The White Darkness is an action-packed book with so many twists and turns it feels like a roller coaster ride. It moves from England to Paris to the Buenas Aires and then on to Antarctica and that's in the first few chapters. Then the thing really start rolling. It's a tale of survival and how survival brings you down the to the bare bones of who you are. This is what interested me about this book. Threatening your characters life in big fat action scenes can really inject some powerful discovery into a story. On the edge of death, you have the opportunity to investigate visceral feelings and sink the teeth of your story telling into what it means to be human.

Think about how to energize your work with ACTION. What consequence will this action reveal? Keep working on those goals. Post your frustration! Post your successes!

I'm adding a quote from the greatest master of action scenes Jack London. Try to bring something of his spark into your story.

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.

No comments: