Saturday, July 24, 2010

Not Feeling It

Hi folks, today is a big secret day about stuff I depend on to write on a daily basis. Many days, I'm just not feeling it. No inspiration, no drive, nothing, nada, and my secret? I work anyway. Sometimes this can go on for days. I have found a odd grouping of things keeps me motivated that has nothing to do with actually writing books.

1. Walking. A long walk makes me loosen up and helps me discover the power within. It's always on mile three. When I get to mile three on my walk, I punch the air and jump up and down. I feel like I could hop to the moon.

2. Reading books. I read wide. I love so many genres, so many types of books. Some books are so bad I feel desperate to write something that will put something meaningful out there. Other books are so profound that I marvel that we can fly so far with our art, and I want to chase after that.

3. Conversation. A conversation opens up my creative self. It forms all kinds of new connections in brain. It makes me understand the forces within me, the stuff driving me to create. I'm back in storyteller land here in Texas, and I have to admit, it is wonderful. I always feel so satisfied after a good conversation.

4. Sky. I am back in big sky country and it feels like my whole soul is saying yay! It's like being reunited with a long lost friend. I've found my routine has fit in the sunsets and the sunrises as much as possible. I'm going to see the Perseids for sure this year. The expanse of the sky is a vast canvas that is like a living thing to me, full of intensity, beauty, and surprises.

5. Routine. Something about going through a routine works this magic within me. The repetitive tasks of making the bed, loading the dishwasher, sweeping the floor, etc. It's like you can trust these things to add together and fill you with a sense of order and purpose. When I string words, nouns and verbs together, I feel the power of routine and know that from these simple steps will come a reflection of the galaxies that spin overhead. I trust the process.

So this week, think about the strange alchemy that motivates you. Wake up and trust it. Let this mix of things help you on your journey to create fine arts to share with the generations. Seize the day. See you next week.

Here is the doodle of the week. "Sunrise behind a tree."



Quote of the week:

Novelists do not write as birds sing, by the push of nature. It is part of the job that there should be much routine and some daily stuff on the level of carpentry. William Golding

3 comments:

Vijaya said...

Molly, you must read The Quotidian Mysteries by Kathleen Norris.

I'm all for routines and habits and long walks and writing even you don't feel like it ... I should practice that last bit more in the hurly burly of life.

Jen Heger said...

Molly, I'm digging your blog. Its like something in you has been dormant, waiting, and is now feeling the nurturing sun of TX. All that was brewing here in the NW has been set free! Love it, love it, love it, my friend.

Molly/Cece said...

Oooh, I'm going to read that book, Vijaya. Very interesting.

Hi, Jen, I'm glad you think I'm far out! Texas, this place is home to me. I can hear a mocking bird, a dove, a robin, a cardinal, bluebird, and a jay. This place is alive with voices.

I do miss you all. I hope I get to come back sometime.