Friday, July 02, 2010

Refuel.

It's raining dingos, lions, and bathtubs here. I'm working through FINDING WATER: THE ART OF PERSEVERENCE by Julia Cameron. One thing I've learned in this book is the need for a weekly Artist's Date. This is a bit of time set aside for creative pursuits that will fuel your spirit.

I'm finding a lot of energy at the monthly BRYAN, TEXAS's FIRST FRIDAYs. Tonight I headed by the Brazos Glassworks and chatted with artisans there. Then I went to The Frame Gallery where the band plays rather awesome and soothing jazz. I took a chair at their wonderful art table, where they provide paints, palettes (paper plates) and paper (more paper plates :)).I paint whatever is in my head.

I will admit the table had a good mix of kids and grownups. The little girl next to me happily shared my paints. She declared that painting rainbows is the best, it's too difficult to paint an entire plate red, and that the color that goes with red best is white -- good to know. I also headed over to Must Be Heaven and had some Blackberry Chess Pie. Yum. Highly recommended. Pie is a total art form and I am deeply inspired by it.

So Happy Campers, go out this week and refuel. Find your perfect slice of pie, some dedicated artists to chat with, some tranquil tunes to soothe your spirit, a few paint brushes to splash paint on the paper. Whatever you do, open up your creative self. Seize the day.

I was definitely channeling Carroll here. My doodle on a paper plate, "Grinning Cat".
Sorry about the image quality 3D art and 2D scanner.


The quote for the week comes from Lewis Carroll's ALICE IN WONDERLAND:

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

6 comments:

Vijaya said...

So true, Molly. A couple of weeks ago, my daughter and I splurged on a painting project ... so much fun! I have a hidden artist inside me ... too bad I got so many whacks for doodling ...

Vijaya said...

ps: love your kitty and the idea of painting paper plates.

Stasia said...

Love the new look of the blog and the paper cat! Regarding your quote, I've always thought Alice should be somewhat glad to be "mad"--if the opposite of mad is ordinary anyway!

Molly/Cece said...

Yay for painting project splurging!

I must say the idea of painting paper plates was not mine but the local gallery's idea. I love it!

I am with you, Stasia. Totally.

Janet Lee Carey said...

One of my favorite quotes, Molly and love the grinning cat. I've just finished reading Julia Cameron's FINDING WATER also, and found it helpful to the creative process.

Blowing wishes to TX where you are.

Faith Pray said...

What a great idea! I'm going to have to work this into the schedule. It sounds like yours was a lively adventure. I love the plateful cat