Saturday, May 12, 2012

Rejection Therapy Steps

Hi folks,This is the last weekend to view my sample of PLUMB CRAZY in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Contest before the announcement of the finalists. Please give my sample a look and  "like" it or review it if you are so inclined.. Thanks so much!

This week I'm going to share my "Rejection Therapy Steps."  I like to be ready beforehand. After a mountain of rejections, I've gained a little experience about how to face another "no" with dignity. These steps insure that after each rejection, I'm ready to take the next step on my creative journey and that it is the best step.

1. Recognize you are not your work. You are a person of worth. It's an inherent thing. You will continue your work. Don't mix up yourself with a weak expression on your creative persona – just do better next time.

2. You have a gift and it will make a place for you. Trust that this closed door is part the Universe's plan to lead you to the right place.

3. Glean something useful from the rejection. Remember any feedback is a gift.

4. Read the rejection to a loved one and go out to lunch. Remember the loved one is important and always needs a ton on tending. He or she cars about you and cares if you are here for your family.

5. Call a mentor or collegue and read the rejection and then talk about it.

6. Let yourself feel the disappointment. Don't act like it didn't happen.

7. Remember you want to write something that is over the top awesome. Something for the ages. Cling to your goal.

8. Turn the focus away from you. Call another friend and encourage her about her work. List out 10 things that are awesome about her creative journey.

9. Take American Idol lessons to heart. (Hey, I'm not too good for pop culture.) On the show, those who aren't true to themselves always lose. Don't sing Karaoke. With each try, jump up and be more amazing.

10. Don't worry. Just let your journey unfold the way it wants. You are not in control of outcomes. I'm a faithful soul so here is a dose from my faith,: You can trust God loves you and wants great things for your life. TRUST. Don't let one more rejection get you down. Forget the things behind and press on.

I hope that one of my rejection therapy steps helps you. It is about writers who are struggling to find the true expression of their voice. Just keep going with flow. I will be back next week with more inspiration to help you seize the day.

And now this week's doodle. I call this one: "Face study."


Here is my quote for the week:
I think all great innovations are built on rejections. Louis-Ferdinand Celine

10 comments:

Vijaya said...

Excellent tips for getting over the rejection blues. I'm sorry, Molly. But I am so glad you are the kind of person who does not quit. Chin up, kid, and write what burns in your heart.

Loved your excerpt -- even better than what I remember. You nailed it with the fire ants! LOL.

God bless you this Mother's Day.

Molly/Cece said...

I actually wrote these a while back before what I thought might be a rejection. It was an acceptance. I just had this on the slate for the blog. My chin is all up and I'm staying up late at night to write the WIP. I got all inspired by The Avengers. It's a movie, but it was just so balanced. I left it with this soul to do my own balancing act!

Blessing to you on Mother's Day too.

Faith Pray said...

Yay, Molly! Your words continue to add salt and wisdom to my writing life!

Unknown said...

"Salt and wisdom," I like it, Faith. All of these are good things to keep in mind when swallowing a rejection. I'm glad this was on your blog slate of posts to do. As of last Friday, I now have 9 hand-picked agents who have my critiqued & polished Redbird ms in their inboxes. Now the waiting game begins.

Molly/Cece said...

Hi Faith! I'm glad to be that salt and wisdom go to gal. I try.

Hi Candy! Yay for the big agent hunt. I'm about to send out 6 submission. I hope we see at least one yes each!

Unknown said...

Hey, Molly! I know you're swamped and you don't have to participate. But I wanted to award you a creative blog award anyways. :))) Because, well, you're Kreativ!! You can visit my latest post to see it. :))

Unknown said...

Best of luck with your 6 submissions!!!

Molly/Cece said...

Um, yes, I need to do that. It is on the to-do-list.

Marcia said...

These are excellent tips.

Molly/Cece said...

You are welcome, Marcia