Thursday, November 02, 2006

Time to work, folks!

I hope that you have taken a deep breath and have taken a first step toward your goal! I'm doing my deep breathing from yoga and am ready to focus on the task at hand. The Golden Coffee Cup awaits.

Here are 5 things I've done to be sure that I keep on task.

1. Set aside an entire Saturday at the library to work. I'd show up when the doors opened and leave when they closed. I'd bring a sandwich, some fruit, water bottle, laptop and bottle of glue. The glue was to remind me to keep the bum in chair.

2. If I'm sitting at the computer staring, I'll unplug it and move to the bed or couch or deck and see if the muse is hanging out there.

3.I've set the alarm 30 minutes early and put the laptop right by my bed to pick up the second I wake up.

4. I've packed up the computer and headed to a coffee shop in town, ordered my favorite tea and worked for a couple of hours.

5. I have worked through more baseball, gymnastics, trumpet, violin, swimming, ballet, track practices than I can name. I always balance the laptop on the steering wheel and work. It's usually a nice chunk of time between 45 minutes and 3 hours.

Please share your favorite "keep on task" tricks.


2 comments:

holly cupala said...

Keep on task. Hmmm.

Have a baby, spend a few sleepless months thinking, "Wow, why didn't I write when I could??" then hire childcare for one day a week and feel guilty if you don't make significant progress on Writing Day.

It works! You all should try it! :D

Molly/Cece said...

Ah, sage advice.