Saturday, November 05, 2011

Corn

Welcome, welcome, I hope that you are taking time for your art this week. If things haven't been going the way you want or worse your house of cards was kicked over, you must rise up. Overcome. And what if you stumbled, or what if you fell, you must forgive yourself if you have come up short in any area. You must because your work is valuable.

Dear artists and writers, you must plant regardless. If you push a seed into the earth, something is bound to come up. No special super skills needed. This simple process of sowing and reaping governs art. What comes up is surprising, unexpected, and the yields are greater than you can imagine and sweeter than your dreams. There are reasons to turn up the earth. There are reasons to plant the seeds.

And these reasons are not always easy to see. Seeds go into the ground tiny, hard, and insignificant. Then comes the water and rain and up springs so much life. I have this full memory of being in a corn field and picking corn as a young teen. I was somewhere near DeRidder, Louisiana.

The corn stalks were twelve feet high and were covered with ears. The rows stretched out so far I couldn't see the ends. I dropped each fat ear into a woven bushel basket. Wind made the stalks rustle like voices. The world had turned to corn.

Each ear was over a foot long and was as big around as my arm. I hauled that basket down that row. I pulled back the silky tassels of one ear. And slipped my finger tips across the golden kernels. I understood the power of a kernel.

My seeds are stories. You may paint, or sculpt, or weave, whatever. These seeds of art, transfer and multiply the truth. We plant them, and they grow into surprising verdant patches that at can take over entire fields and reshape the land.

Do that this week. Give it your all.

This week's doodle is Self-'ll.



This week's quote should strike a chord.

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
Anne Bronte

6 comments:

Sumel said...

Is this where I insert "corny" jokes?

Molly/Cece said...

Sure. :) M.

Vijaya said...

Lovely ... I got derailed these past few days, but getting back on track. Thanks for that doodle too.

Molly/Cece said...

Hi Vijaya. I totally get derailed. Jack has had influenza for 10 long days. He's finally back to school. I just keep on doing one more thing. :)

Faith Pray said...

I'm practically bursting to get into the dirt and plant words and pictures, but there are days where doodling on the kids' lunch notes is as close as I get. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday during naps, plus two hours one weeknight. That's when I get my hands dirty and work. Pretty pathetic, huh? Thanks for the corn story. Lovely.

Molly/Cece said...

Faith, I totally get what you are talking about. When the crew was young, I'd ponder stories while washing laundry and I keep a notebook for the park. And my favorite was one Saturday a month my husband would let me sneak off to the library and I would write from the moment it opened until it closed. Not pathetic at all -- brave and steadfast to me. May your planted words spring up forests! Peace. M.