Saturday, November 12, 2011

Longing

Hi, folks, I'm off speaking at the SCBWI Brazos Valley Conference today. I think the big lesson for me this week is accepting myself, warts and all. I long for things. I long to see far off places that I've only read about in books. I long to write books that children in those far off places will love. I long for my life to make a difference in this world. I long for so many things there is no way to put it all into words. The clock keeps ticking.

I've been told by many that as you get older this longing will lessen. I have not found that to be true. I comfort myself that I am in good company in this world of longing -- think about how many longed to go to the moon and never got the chance. A little birdie gave me some good advice the other day, to just accept that I long for things. I think this is echoed in the old folk song Mr. Rabbit -- "Every little thing is going to shine, shine, every little thing is going to shine.

Be yourself and seize the day! Back next week with more stuff.

I did this doodle when I was 18 or 19. I've been longing since I can remember. Here is "Ship at Sea."



This is the quote.
A book is good company. It is full of conversation without loquacity. It comes to your longing with full instruction, but pursues you never. Henry Ward Beecher

6 comments:

Vijaya said...

Good luck with your talk, Molly. It's funny but I've been thinking about all those longings as well. This time last year I was praying to God to take me home. I was so terribly ill. I'm much better now, but beneath all the wants and desires, and love of family and work, I still have that deep longing to be with Jesus. I am grateful for each day I get to live and try to become a better person.

Molly/Cece said...

Yes, I do understand this longing for Christ. I long for eternal things, days when there are no more tears, days when we know even as we are known. A day when we are face to face.

Love you, dear friend.

Deb Lund said...

All good stories are about longing. And you mine that so well. Keep writing!

Molly/Cece said...

Hi, Deb, I so appreciate you saying that ot me. Thank you so much. Just the perfect words at the perfect time. M.

Faith Pray said...

Ooh, Deb said it! - "all good stories are about longing." I think it's a good thing to be thirsty, so that even if we don't get full-on gulps of what we long for, when we sip, it will be sweet. Here's to a beautiful conference, and longings fulfilled.

Molly/Cece said...

Good thoughts, Faith, such a good attitude to be grateful for every sip.

It was a fine conference. Learned lots.

Molly