Saturday, November 19, 2011

Help! Need Chocolate Cream Pie recipe and some writing tips

Hello, friends. Another week has raced past. We are rolling toward Thanksgiving here in the States at amazing speed. I am working on a feast but I could use a really good recipe for Chocolate Cream Pie. So if you have one, post it here.

To my NANOWRIMO folks -- keep it up! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. You can do this!

I discussed with a friend this week the bonding that comes with sharing a recipe. I have a few that go way back. The cornbread my grandmother made, the kolaches from aunt's friend, my mom's sauteed green beans -- I think you can say a lot with food. I noticed that lots of writers just skip over the food in their stories, ignoring the bonding potential. I often write a scene with two characters making pancakes or sandwiches or something. It helps me explore surprising character connections. I don't always keep the scene in the work, but I do write it. Break some bread and see where it leads.

Thanks for dropping by. See you next week. Seize the day.\

Don't laugh at me. Here's another tip I use to make it real. I make covers of the books that I dream to publishing some day. Here is the cover of one the books I'm dreaming to see in print; my doodle this week is my dream cover of Fractals.



Writing is like walking in a deserted street. Out of the dust in the street you make a mud pie. John le Carre

6 comments:

Vijaya said...

Oooh, I love food in books too. I've actually picked up some interesting recipes in fiction :) I don't do desserts though, so no recipe here to share.

I really want to see Fractals as a book I can hold in my hand one day. I still have your old business card with the leaves. I think making a cover is a great idea. You're an artist and can see the dream ... My kids have been talking about designing book covers and trailers for my latest wip. I should post a picture someday of their vision. Max has read the book ... and he's a good critic. It passed :)

Janet Lee Carey said...

Yes to breaking bread with friends, family and I too love characters sharing food/meals in books Molly.

Hooray for Fractals cover, Molly -- may it become as real and 3D as you imagine!!

Stephanie Theban said...

Very cool cover, Molly. My daughter has made a cover for me before. A nice way to tell me she believes in me.

Molly/Cece said...

Hi Vijaya! I love art. It hard to stay in one medium. I always feel the tug of paint brushes, the whistle of my flute, and then just gaze out to the stars and just be awed by great awesomeness of it all and think I should have gone into physics. I've been particularly moved by the theory of eternal inflation of the cosmos recently.

I do want to see Fractals out there someday. I hope that all my work is infused with the eternal.

I make a few things but chocolate creme pie is not one of them. I'm glad Max likes your book and I love that the guys are making you book covers. I would love to see it. :)

Hi, Janet, there is just nothing like breaking bread. I just like to imagine the book as a physical thing. It helps me focus.

Hey, Stephanie, I love the support of my family. My kids have all read some of my books and my son Jesse has done so many pieces of art for me...

Vijaya said...

Hey Molly, I saw your post on the BB about the new website. It's very good. Clean. Easy to navigate. Easy on the eyes. I would make one recommendation though. Put the link for your blog as one of the main things on your right hand menu bar, instead of a sub-section within Home. Loved all the book covers. So colorful and pretty.

Molly/Cece said...

Great advice, Vijaya. I did make the change and put the Blog as one of the main things. I made it number 2 on the list. Thank you for giving it a look.