Friday, December 16, 2011

Hobbiton

Hi folks, I'm going to dip a little into Middle Earth here, and if you don't have a clue what that is, I'm sorry! I have the kind of family that has long discussions on whether they are elves, ints, hobbits, dwarfs, human, orcs, or wizards. I certainly am a hobbit. Around the holidays, breaking out the 10 or so hours to watch the extended version of The Lord of the Rings always seems like a good idea. This year has been no different.

So what does my LOTR jag teach me? What does my hobbit-self feel? I've launched out on a great journey too. My goal -- the life needed to tell a story about there and back again. Is any life less than a journey with a terrible burden? We all suffer. We all face dangerous waters and treacherous enemies. We all carry heavy things that have scarred us without and within. We all start out with a sense of purpose but find ourselves embroiled in great battles. Horrendous battles come and we face down unspeakable evils.

We form fellowships. They grow and flourish. We argue, we let each other down, we say our callous words and bring up all the dirt, and hopefully we bend to higher angels and find good moments -- we forgive each other, we believe each other, we hope for each other. Sometimes,we watch our fellowships shatter with no way to hold together the shards of broken bonds. But still, we press on. Our little battles are all part of much greater battle that rages. We live on a war torn planet, none of us have much control. My heart's cry is to see good triumph over evil. We take comfort in the fact that death is nothing to fear, but shining shores are ahead.

It's been a tough week for me -- the car's is probably totalled (son is fine, so much to be thankful for). And between writing articles, I have faced the deep waters of pressing on as a writer, hungering ever to write that stirs the soul and realizing I will have to face down my own weaknesses to do that. And over and over the Lord of the Rings has spoken to me. Thank you, J.R.R. Tolkien. I can imagine we could have been friends. I thank Peter Jackson, too, for making the movies. I can imagine we could be friends too.

And to my friends, let's live for greater things. Peace.

Here is a doodle: "Window into my imagination.



Here is I think my favorite LOTR quote from the movies:

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

from Lord of the Rings

3 comments:

Vijaya said...

Thank God Jesse is alright. It's hard for me to believe he's already driving. He'll perpetually be 13 to me ... but then I realize that's Jack, no?

Max read Tolkein this fall. His first time. I think it'll be a favorite. So rich. Great quote. Let us make this time here on earth matter.

Love and God bless, Molly.

Molly/Cece said...

So much to be thankful for. Jesse is 6'3" and Jack is 6'1" I feel like I live with giants. Jack is about to turn 14 and will be in high school next year.

It's funny about LOTR. I was not a huge fan as a teen. I read the books but I didn't adore them. I love the films. Watching them was such a DNA experience for my family.

On my lukewarm reaction to LOTR, I always attribute it to my inability to hear an English accent in my head.

My favorite fantasy series ever is from my teen years: The Chronicles of Prydain, the bildungsroman of Taran. I can connect with the Welsh but not the English. I'm not sure what that says about me.

And, yes, like Ephesians 5:16...redeeming the time (KJV)

Kjersten said...

The first time I "read" The Hobbit, it was read aloud to me by the world's most fantastic teacher. She added amazing voices for all the characters. She essentially acted the entire thing out for us just through her voice. I've been a fan of Tolkien ever since.

Funny, thinking on it now I realize that the first time I heard LOTR was an audio version too. I suppose that's the obvious reason I can help but imagine it read in an English Accent.

Glad your son is okay. Thanks, as always, for your lovely blog.